Location of the Great Blasket Island
The Great Blasket Island – the most westerly point in Europe – is the largest Island of a group of islands located 3 miles off the tip of the Dingle Peninsula 13 kilometers west of Dingle town.
In the past few years a number of the houses have been restored and amenities provided for visitors to the island.
Great Blasket Island Wildlife
- Superb walks on the green road and mountain tracks
- Attractive flora and fauna
- Pre-historic remains
- Abundant sea-life
- Extensive bird life
Literature of The Great Blasket Island
For those with an interest in literature on the Great Blasket Island, read through the Dingle Peninsula site section on Culture, Heritage, and Irish Language on the Blasket Islands. This will provide you with the names and authors of books of interest.
Peig Sayers (1873-1958) was an Irish author and inhabitant of the Great Blasket Island. She moved there after marrying a fisherman and native She is most famous for her auotobiography Peig.
Important Notice Regarding Safety
Extreme care on this island is necessary due to terrain and currents. Suitable clothes and safe footwear should be worn while exploring the Island. Supervise children on the beach and cliff areas. Dogs should be kept on a lead or under control at all times. A flashlight for nighttime use is a must.
Please note — drinking water is a limited commodity on the Island, so we would appreciate if you brought your own for your use.
Choose your Island Experience
The Great Blasket Island Experience; Dingles original speed boat adventure tour.
- 33ft 12 passenger speed boat with both indoor and outdoor seating for extra warmth & comfort.
- Extensive geological and historic explorations.
- An abundance of marine life, birdlife and fauna. Whales, basking sharks, dolphins & seals.
- HIGHLY RECOMMEND Great Blasket Island landing.
- Complimentary tea/coffee served to all our passengers on the Great Blasket Island
- Exclusive use of Island bathroom facilities – Peig Sayers passengers only.
- Free guided history tours of the village and insight into Islanders lives provided by OPW. (weather permitting)
- Explore the white sandy beaches of the Tra Ban, home to one of the largest seal colonies on the Atlantic Coast.
- Spectacular hikes and panoramic views of the surrounding Blasket Islands, Iveragh and Dingle Peninsula.
We ensure all our passengers capture the best Dingle Bay has to offer by boat, allowing visitors to explore at their own ease, experiencing the uniqueness and beauty of the Blasket Islands with this small, personable full day tour.
Please note: 5% non refundable booking fee.
We require a minimum of 9 passengers to run this tour. If this minimum is not met, the trip is subject to cancellation.
Great Blasket Island Accommodation
The Great Blasket Island Accommodation – the ultimate Island Experience.
- Located on a remote Island off the West Coast of Ireland
- Unique Irish getaway steeped in nature, history and wildlife
- Offering simple self-catering accommodation in five restored cottages at the top of the old Blasket Island village.
- Cottages equipped with basic amenities but no more than what is needed to enjoy a unique, peaceful and relaxing getaway.