Location of the Great Blasket Island
The Great Blasket Island – the most westerly point in Europe – is the largest Island of a group of islands located 3 miles off the tip of the Dingle Peninsula 13 kilometers west of Dingle town.
In the past few years a number of the houses have been restored and amenities provided for visitors to the island.
Great Blasket Island Wildlife
- Superb walks on the green road and mountain tracks
- Attractive flora and fauna
- Pre-historic remains
- Abundant sea-life
- Extensive bird life
Literature of The Great Blasket Island
For those with an interest in literature on the Great Blasket Island, read through the Dingle Peninsula site section on Culture, Heritage, and Irish Language on the Blasket Islands. This will provide you with the names and authors of books of interest.
Peig Sayers (1873-1958) was an Irish author and inhabitant of the Great Blasket Island. She moved there after marrying a fisherman and native She is most famous for her auotobiography Peig.
Important Notice Regarding Safety
Extreme care on this island is necessary due to terrain and currents. Suitable clothes and safe footwear should be worn while exploring the Island. Supervise children on the beach and cliff areas. Dogs should be kept on a lead or under control at all times. A flashlight for nighttime use is a must.
Please note — drinking water is a limited commodity on the Island, so we would appreciate if you brought your own for your use.
Choose your Island Experience
The Great Blasket Island Experience Voted No.1 Tour in Dingle .
- Small 12 passenger boat, both indoor and outdoor seating
- Fungie the Dingle Dolphin.
- Extensive geological tour.
- Abundance of wildlife, birdlife and fauna.
- Great Blasket Island History
- LANDING ON THE GREAT BLASKET ISLAND – highly recommended.
- Complementary tea/coffee in the Great Blasket Island Coffee Shop. *Currently unavailable – coffee shop & toilets closed due to COVID-19*
- Free guided tour on island provided by OPW (SEASONAL)
- Home to one of the largest seal colonies on the Atlantic Coast.
- Spectacular hikes and panoramic views on Great Blasket Island
An intimate and personal tour – the best way to explore Dingle Peninsula and Great Blasket Island
Please note: From 1st May 2020 there is a 5% non refundable booking fee.
Great Blasket Island Accommodation
The Great Blasket Island Accommodation – a unique Island Expereince.
- Located on a remote island off the west coast of Ireland
- Ultimate Irish getaway steeped in nature, history and wildlife
- Offering simple self-catering accommodation in five restored cottages at the top of the old Blasket Island village.
- Cottage equipped with basic amenities but no more than what is needed to enjoy a unique, peaceful and relaxing getaway.